Sawubona my friends! Well I’m officially starting my third week in South Africa. Week one was basically adjusting to S.A time. And let me tell you.. I’ll never be getting up with the sunrise (which is around 5am) as the locals do. ( this also means South Africans call it a day around 8pm. ) Week two was spent getting into my daily routine- which consists of going to the Seed of Hope Centre during most days. The pace of life here is definitely different for this Canadian girl. But I so love it.
I’m staying in a place called Amanzimtoti… located in the KwaZulu-Natal province on the east coast of S.A…about 15-20 min from the major city of Durban ( about 4 million people) Toti is kinda like a suburb of Durban…. With quite a few townships surrounding the main area. I’m living about a 10 minute drive from the beach, which is the waters of the warm Indian Ocean. ( temperature hovers between 20 – 24 degress Celsius year round☺ ) And though the constant breeze makes high waves and strong currents… it's still nice to enjoy a dip and swim ever now and then… even in the shark infested waters!
Last week I taught my first class @ the Seed of Hope’s After-School programs. ( for 11-15 year olds) we looked at different careers available in the world. Let me tell you how much teaching/classroom skills are a bit rusty. You would think, that with all the teacher friends I have back home- I’d be a bit better. Alas… made it through and am ready to face the class again this week.For those of you wondering what the Seed of Hope is… I will get into it in more detail in later posts, but for now, please check out their website at www.theseedofhope.org
Monday, February 23, 2009
Sawubona! ( hello)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment